Rand Paul suspends presidential campaign

by David Sherfinski  |  published on February 3, 2016

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky announced Wednesday he is suspending his presidential campaign, saying it’s been an “honor” to participate in the GOP primary race while pledging to continue to fight on in the U.S. Senate.

“Ours has been a unique voice in this race — one that says big government threatens Americans from all walks of life, rich and poor, black and white,” Mr. Paul said in a videotaped message. “From the coal miner who lost his job over President Obama’s destructive EPA regulations, to the teenager from a poor family facing jail time for marijuana.”

Mr. Paul had hoped to mobilize young voters during his 2016 bid for the White House, including in Iowa earlier this week. But he ended up finishing in fifth place in Iowa and was in danger of failing to qualify for the next Republican debate before the Feb. 9 New Hampshire primary.

“I will continue to fight for criminal justice reform, for privacy and your Fourth Amendment rights. I will continue to champion due process over indefinite detention,” he said.

The Kentucky senator, first elected in 2010, attracted significant attention when he launched a nearly 13-hour filibuster in March 2013 demanding answers from then-Attorney Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. about the U.S. drone program.

  • Dan

    Sad to see Rand go. I think that he was one of the few, if not the only honorable one with integrity.

  • jug

    As should everyone from Carson on down!

    And especially, the two from Fl.
    So include RINO Rubio as well!

Google Analytics Alternative