At least nine dead after suicide bombing in western Libyan city

by
May 1, 2012

MICHAEL JANSEN, IrishTimes.com

SUICIDE BOMBERS set off devices at dawn yesterday in the northwestern rebel stronghold of Idlib city, destroying two security headquarters and nearby apartment blocks.

Syrian state media reported nine dead and more than 100 in- jured, while the London-based Syrian opposition Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 20, the majority security officers. The explosion took place 200m from the Carlton Hotel, the base of two UN ceasefire monitors, who inspected the blast scene.

The observatory also reported that a car bomb had exploded in a town near Damascus, causing casualties, while other opposition activists said troops shelled the Arbaeen quarter of Homs, killing 26, following a visit by monitors.

Overnight the Syrian central bank was struck by rocket-propelled grenades in the most audacious strike mounted in Damascus since the revolt erupted 13 months ago. Although damage was light, the target was psychologically significant.

The central bank is located on Sabaa Bahrat square at the very heart of the commercial area of the city. Pro-government demonstrations often take place there.

A second attack was staged on a police patrol near a hospital in another central Damascus quarter.

Syrian state television blamed “terrorists” for the attacks and said they were a breach of the ceasefire imposed by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.

Suicide and car bomb attacks have been claimed by a previously unknown group, al-Nusra Front to Protect the Levant, said to be an offshoot of al-Qaeda.

The government daily Tishreen said such attacks proved al-Qaeda was operating in Syria and “the Syrian state has full rights to protect its citizens and maintain security and stability.” The paper accused the US, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar of having links with the armed groups and al-Qaeda.

To read more, visit: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0501/1224315406826.html

No comments yet - you can be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep the Fake News Media in check.

Don’t let the MSM censor your news as America becomes Great Again. Over 500,000 Americans receive our daily dose of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness along with Breaking News direct to their inbox—and you can too. Sign up to receive news and views from The 1776Coalition!

We know how important your privacy is and your information is SAFE with us. We’ll never sell
your email address and you can unsubscribe at any time directly from your inbox.
View our full privacy policy.