Pentagon to release Guantanamo detainee relocation plan, as Obama pressed ahead with closure

by  |  published on November 8, 2015

The Pentagon is expected to release a plan next week on President Obama’s years-long effort to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center that suggests a Colorado prison dubbed “the Alcatraz of the Rockies” as one suitable site to relocate expected life-long detainees, Obama administration officials say.

Obama made a campaign promise in his 2008 White House bid to close the facility, arguing the move would be in the United States’ best financial, national security and foreign policy interests and in the name of justice — considering some of the detainees have been held for nearly nine years without trial or sentencing.

However, critics of the promise, including many Republicans, fear transferring detainees to the U.S. mainland as part of an overall closure plan poses too much of a homeland security risk. They also say the president has yet to submit a closure plan and have been critical of the administration recently allowing some known terrorists to return to the Middle East.

  • KDC

    BO is like a bad dream. I wish I could wake up and he’d be gone.

  • jdbixii

    Presumably, the fact that no trials have been held indicates the weakness of the government’s case against detainees. They should be released to their home countries. What they do upon release would certainly prove guilt or innocence, without the cost to American taxpayers for further incarceration.

  • Hussein wants it closed down because that could be his next home! Should be already, since he is a Manchurian President who backs Islam and Armed and Funded ISIS! Death to the Tyrant! TRUMP/CRUZ 2016!

  • this idiot never gets challenged on his bogus claim of gitmo being a terrorist recruiter! will somebody please ask him what recruited these terrorists??!! [we did not have a prison there b4 9/11/01!!!] 1. beruit bombers in 1983. 2. the bombers of the wtc towers in 1993, 3.kobar towers in saudi arabia, not sure of the year but was b4 9/11/01, 4. our embassies in kenya & tanzinia in 1998. 5. the uss cole in 2000. etc.

  • reagangs

    Even though we have two Federal prisons here in Fort Worth, one is mainly for crazy people and the other is on the local military base that use to be Carswell AF base, now NAS, FMF, Joint Reserve base …. not in my back yard. But hey, we are at least allowed to own and carry fire arms to protect our selves, neighbors, community, fair city and state. If there is a jail break, they won’t live for very long.

  • TexRancher

    If Obama closes GITMO, he will be putting this country at great risk. GITMO must stay in AMERICAN Hands. Obama is just using this as one more act in weakening this country towards its final destruction! This clearly is an act by a SUBVERSIVE president!

  • Pamela Stein

    Do not allow this moron to close GITMO. In the first place when you place these terrorists inside the U. S. You open us up for attack from from jihadists wanting them released. Secondly, you provide these people rights that they currently do not and should not have. Third if you allow him to close GITMO his intentions will be to give it back to the Cubans who will promptly lease it to the Russians which puts us in a VERY poor position Nationally with the Russians right at our shores. The notion that these people are being mistreated is crazy. Members of Congress have visited and said they receive treatment better than our federal prisoners do. These terrorists regularly throw slurrys on our guards yet theatre not a threat? It’s already known that 30% of those released have returned to terrorists activities and its unknown about the other 70% because they’ve disappeared. This is a very dangerous situation and we cannot allow terrorists to be released or brought into the US further jeopardizing Americans all so some POTUS can say he fullfilled a “Legacy” who says that anyways? I’ve NEVER in my 50 years on this planet heard a US president speak of a “legacy” At any rate our Nat’l security is at stake not to mention the people that died on 9/11.I’m not inclined to spit in the face of their families or minimize their deaths in anyway shape or form to appease some terrorist, or POTUS. Please write to your respective Congressional Reps. and tell them for the safety of our citizens, keep GITMO open.

Google Analytics Alternative