Dust-up over pat-downs not keeping travelers on ground

by
November 24, 2010

By Sean Lengell-The Washington Times

The airline security kerfuffle and the nation’s slow economic recovery aren’t undermining an uptick in Thanksgiving travelers taking to the skies, ensuring long security lines potentially exacerbated by a planned boycott of body-scan machines Wednesday.

The Air Transport Association of America, the industry trade association for leading U.S. airlines, says it expects a 3.5 percent increase in the number of passengers traveling on domestic airlines this Thanksgiving holiday season compared with last year.

“It is reassuring to see travel levels rebounding with the stronger economy,” said ATA President and Chief Executive Officer James C. May. “While modest, the recovery is particularly encouraging given the deep hole that this industry was in a year ago.”

AAA, the nation’s largest travel club, predicts 1.62 million people will fly between Tuesday and Sunday – up from 1.57 million in 2009.

But a poll shows that air travelers who didn’t cancel holiday reservations over new security procedures are likely to look for alternatives in the future.

A Zogby International Poll released Tuesday shows that the new security polices will cause 48 percent of Americans — and 42 percent of frequent fliers — to chose a different mode of transportation when possible.

Overall, 61 percent of the survey’s respondents, who were polled between Friday and Monday, oppose the use of full body scans and pat-downs. Republicans, at 69 percent, and independent voters, at 65 percent, disagreed in greater numbers than the 50 percent of Democrats who opposed the polices.

The airline industry publicly is taking a wait-and-see approach to the body scanners. ATA’s Mr. May said the group was “working with the government to help assure appropriate recognition of these concerns.”

The Transportation Security Administration‘s so-called “naked X-ray” machines, which take an outline image of a person’s body, and more invasive pat-downs have caused TSA Administrator John Pistole to go on the defensive in recent days. On Wednesday, he said the agency is asking government security specialists whether there is a way to make the security pat-down less invasive but just as thorough.

To read more, visit: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/23/dust-up-over-pat-downs-not-keeping-travelers-on-gr/

1 Comment - what are your thoughts?

  • Bill Dayton, OH says:

    Don’t fool yourself. Many of these tickets/travelers were purchased before this policy was put into effect. I for one do not intend to take any vacations that require me or my family to fly and be subject to these humiliating actions. This is an invasion of my right to privacy, and I will not have my wife and daughter gropped by some minimum wage, under trained TSA agent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep the Fake News Media in check.

Don’t let the MSM censor your news as America becomes Great Again. Over 500,000 Americans receive our daily dose of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness along with Breaking News direct to their inbox—and you can too. Sign up to receive news and views from The 1776Coalition!

We know how important your privacy is and your information is SAFE with us. We’ll never sell
your email address and you can unsubscribe at any time directly from your inbox.
View our full privacy policy.